Thursday, January 8, 2009

South Korea: day 1

Arrived smoothly in Incheon International Airport around 07:00.

Took AREX Express Incheon --> Gimpo (6 stops, 45 minutes)

Transferred Subway Line 5 Gimpo --> Eljiro 4 Ga (24 stops!, 30 minutes)

Checked in Travelers A Hostel. A decent place to stay as it was just a few minutes walk from Exit no.4. I paid 40,000 won per night upon checking in.

My first task was to configure my phone from GSM-->3G (WCDMA). It wasn't easy. Spent about an hour to find out that I had to use SK Telekom, not KTX, as the latter kept blocking my outgoing messages and calls!




The first place I visited was Gyeongbokgung Palace. This palace was all surrounded by beautiful mountains except its south. The whole space was so vast that it just felt fascinating being there.





Towards the east of the palace, stood the National Folk Museum where the lifestyles of ancient Koreans were displayed. They were all tastefully done and I had a great time. There was also a small special exhibition in welcoming the Year of Ox.





Next, I went to MMMG Café (Anguk Station Exit 1, turn left, adjacent to Post Office). The place was a perfect hideaway from the freezing cold outside (heard it was about -4°C that day). Surely not to be missed – MMMG's beautiful stationeries!


No comments: